Friday, June 24, 2011

our day to day

So, I lied. I have one more post to do before we go out of town. I love reading other people's blogs to get ideas on what they do with their kids at home, like with chores, spiritual training, etc. So for what it's worth, here is what we came up with for this summer. If it gives you an idea or encourages you in some way, then it was worth posting.

I wanted a chore chart that was reusable. One that you don't have to print every week or that is no good after you've filled it with stickers. So this is what I came up with. Small pockets stuck with magnets to my refrigerator. One holds all of the chore sticks for each child and you move them over to the other when they are finished. I like it and that way the boys can see what they haven't done for the day. I have been amazed at how well Judah dusts and how good Elijah is at folding laundry. I really thought I would have to go back and re-do a lot of their chores, but NO, they've pleasantly surprised me! They get a small allowance at the end of each week.


Jason and I also picked one memory verse per week this summer for the weeks that we're not out of town. On the first day, we talk about what the verse means and why it's important to us today. We practice it each day during our Bible time at lunch and if they can say it to me on their own each Friday, they put a sticker on their chart. If the chart is full at the end of the summer, they will get a special prize (we are still deciding on that :-).

We are doing one devotional a day during lunchtime before working on our memory verse, and we are using this book. I couldn't get the picture to turn, sorry. They are very simple and short and then we talk about what that devotional means for us today.

I also had this BRILLIANT idea that I have not followed through with yet. I thought one day a week this summer, we could think of something to do FOR someone else or TO HELP someone else. So far, this has NOT panned out because of unexpected events and lack of planning on my part. I am determined to pick this up in July. Ultimately I know that we are just planting the seed in their hearts and that GOD is the one who will water it and make it GROW!

For your viewing pleasure, here is Judah saying one of his Bible verses. Elijah is a little more camera-shy, but maybe I can get him saying one later this summer. Excuse my LOUD baby voice...I guess I still talk to him this way...lol. :-)

No comments: