Saturday, July 23, 2011

life on the adoption front {what i DO know}

I've been kind of quiet on this issue for a while now.

It's definitely not because it's not important to us. It's definitely not because of a lack of thinking about it on our part. And it's definitely not because we never get any updates on the status of our adoption. We do, but most information I receive from our agency is not to be posted on the internet. And most of it is all very general and not pertaining to our case specifically.

I don't know when we'll get our referral. I don't know who our daughter is yet. I don't know when we'll have our court date and I don't know when we'll bring her home.

Here is what I DO know.

I know that referrals are still going out on a semi-regular basis to families in the Ethiopian program of our agency.

I know that families are receiving court dates fairly quickly after referral, as in 2-3 months after.

I know that we are number 13 or 14 on an unofficial internet list.

I know that the average wait time is at about 14-15 months right now.

I know that we are almost to 13 months.

I know that my caseworker said, "it is not realistic to expect that our wait time will be significantly longer than the current average right now", even though wait times continue to slightly go up each month.

I know that the Ethiopian government is still processing adoption cases (albeit slower than usual) and that they have their children's best interest at heart.

I know that God knows our daughter by name and knows how many hairs are on her head.

I know that God himself placed us on this path.

And most importantly I know that He is in control.

We entered into a discernment week with our small group this past week. At 5 different points throughout each day, we were to stop and pray specific things and read specific passages from the Bible. It continually reminded me to bring every thought, every joy, every problem, every worry and every praise to the Father. He spoke different things to me this week through others and just to me alone. Here is what I learned from my Teacher this week:

*He isn't finished working on me. He is refining me and purging me of bondage so that I can ultimately be free to serve Him the way He intends without hindrance from me.

*He loves me and He cares about the details of my measly little life.

*He is our Provider. He is taking care of our family, and He realizes we'll soon be adding another child to our house. He proved that He is Provider in two major ways this week.

*Spoken by a sweet friend: He has already planted in my heart that which He desires of me so that I will want which He already desires. He has quickened my heart to want what He wants for me. It is why I now long for my baby girl.

*The things that I am using as excuses or reasons to not do what He desires might be the exact reasons that I SHOULD do that very thing.

*He is teaching me how to LISTEN for His voice to know His will for my life.

It was a good week. I pray that these practices will become a habit. If you draw close to God, He WILL draw close to you.

3 comments:

Alisha said...

I know the waiting is hard and the unknowns are hard. I think about your family often and look forward to the day you'll have some news to share.

Kristen said...

so encouraging to read all the positive things you are finding in this process. hoping and praying for SOON!! I know you are ready!

Anonymous said...

It is so evident by the peace that you have found along the way that God is in control and directing the paths to bring your little girl to you. We are so excited for the time to bring her home!