Thursday, February 21, 2008

Go out and Vote!

Did you guys know that Texas actually counts this year in the Presidential primaries??? Jason and I have really been educating ourselves this year on the candidates, and are excited that our vote is going to count on March 4th! We went to Dallas yesterday to hear Barack Obama speak. Now, before you go and start calling us Democrats....we're not...but we're not Republicans either. I guess you could call us Independents - we vote for who is the best candidate, and since we both tend to agree with parts of what the Republicans stand for and parts of what the Democrats stand for, then we can't really be one or the other. I know, that's lukewarm in Bible theory, but not politically I don't think.

I don't consider myself very politically inclined, so this was my first rally to attend. It was unbelievable!! The crowd when we arrived was ENORMOUS and we ended up in a line that went all the way up to the 4th floor of a parking garage!!! I didn't think we would make it in, but we barely squeezed in before they closed the doors and sat on almost the top row of Reunion Arena. It was a very educational experience and I really enjoyed it. I think Elijah did too, because he clapped every time the crowd clapped. Who knows, this may just springboard him right into politics one day....he'll say "I remember when I was 3 years old and my parents took me to my first political rally...that's what started it for me!" :-) Here are a few pictures, including one of Elijah clapping...



Make a difference this year and go vote in the Presidential primaries! Early voting has already started and the official voting day is March 4th! Since John McCain is pretty well a shoe-in for the Republican nominee, I encourage you to go and vote on the Democratic side since it is so close. And since this is my blog, in my opinion....vote for Barack Obama!!! He needs Texas and one other state to almost for sure shut out Clinton! (Sorry to all of you Clinton supporters out there...I'm just not a fan! Please no hateful comments. :-)

5 comments:

Leilanni said...

That is an amazing crowd - wow! I think it's awesome that Elijah gets to see his parents active in the voting process.

Lori said...

I saw the crowd on the news yesterday...and you were one of them!!! Did you take the train? I'm impressed with your political involvement!

Alisha said...

In Oklahoma you could only vote in the primaries for the party for which you were registered. At least, that's how I think it worked.

Unknown said...

Look at you! I also follow politics and have for years. It can be fun to really love a candidate; however, my dilemma this time is that I can't stand any of the candidates from either party (sorry to include Barack in the mix). My attitude is that I have to vote for the lesser of the evils, and I think I have figured out who that is for me. But, yeah, I think Hilary is my very least favorite of them all!

Jennifer said...

SO cool that you went to this. I've been watching them on TV today...I've never gotten politically involved and don't even think I'm registered, which I've really become convicted to change this year. Could you tell me where and when and how I can vote March 4th? I really want to get involved this time around because I've been keeping up with it all, too. And I'm with you about just about all you said - it's nice to find others who agree with you. I believe it's our responsibility to be a voice, but I also find myself a bit in limbo because of the things I agree/disagree with from both parties. Anyway, thanks for your post and the cool pictures!