Thursday, June 04, 2009

End of Another Season



Obviously these pictures are about a month old (his hair). It was a frustrating baseball season this year. Elijah had fun playing on a team with Jonathan, but I think he was a little young to be on coach pitch this year. Oh well, you live and learn, right?


We weren't that pleased with the coach either. You know, when you hear the coach telling her nephew that's on the team, "There's no crying in baseball." (no, she's not quoting A League of Their Own, she was dead serious) and then says, "Are you a girl? Do I need to get you a little pink bicycle?" Wow. You can bet she never talked to my child that way or she would have been punched in the face by me.


It's also not good that about midway through the season, she herself was hitting balls at the boys in practice, and I guess she doesn't have very good aim because she nailed Elijah in the shoulder with a line drive. It was lucky it wasn't a few inches higher or it would have knocked out teeth. It knocked him down, left a big bruise and he shed many tears. The season kind of went downhill for him after that and he was a little scared of the ball. I'm just praying that didn't ruin baseball for him. Ugh.


Bless his heart, he hit the ball really well in practice but didn't get ONE SINGLE HIT in a game. He tried so hard. On Tuesday night, the last night of the season, he was the last strike out of the whole game and my heart was just breaking for him. I think it had been hurting my feelings more than his the whole season.




However, the coach somewhat redeemed herself when she called him back onto the field and told him that he was going to get a hit this season. After about 5 pitches, he hit a really good foul ball that she pretended was fair and told him to RUN! He didn't know the difference and just ran his little heart out around all of the bases with everyone cheering for him! He thought he got a homerun and it was priceless...he was so proud. I had tears in my eyes when it was all over. I just wish I'd had my camera. Afterwards, we took him out for ice cream to celebrate.




Now he says that he's ready to play soccer. So we'll be giving that a try this fall.

2 comments:

Alisha said...

Way to go Elijah! I think his baseball career has already been more successful than my stint with softball. :) He looks like such a big kid out there!

Sonrise Church said...

He should be the star player for having the most fans who think he is the GREATEST! I know Moms always hurt as much or more than their kids - that's part of the job!