Friday, May 04, 2007

National Day of Prayer

Every time I think I’ve got this whole God thing figured out, every time I think I’ve got him pegged, he chuckles and blows my mind. Yesterday was the National Day of Prayer, a day set aside where Christians gather together to communicate with our Lord and Creator as a unified nation. A small group of us at my workplace decided that we would gather and offer up our praise at 11:30 this morning. So 11:25 rolls around and I gather up my big chief tablet and my pen and head off for the room we had reserved. I find a seat and prepare to write down prayer requests, pray a little bit, then squeeze the hand of the person next to me signaling that it was their turn to pray. Do you hear that? It’s that chuckling I was telling you about. You see, I was the only c of C white boy in the room and the kind of praying I grew up with isn’t quite what my other brothers and sisters had in mind. There was hand holding but apparently the rest of the people didn’t see the verse that says your supposed to take turns when you pray (I think it’s in Jude 2:34). It started off with one person praying quietly with the occasional “Yes Lord” thrown in but it didn’t take long for it to grow and swell to a room full of people praying all at once at the top of their lungs giving praise and glory to the God that made them. I don’t think anyone could deny the passion that these people have for God or that His name is like honey on their lips. It was unlike anything I had ever experienced and I am so glad that I was a part of it. I’m so thankful that everybody doesn’t praise God the exact same way that I do. I’m so glad that God is bigger than my beliefs and traditions. I’m so thankful that He loves to amaze me. I’m so glad that God chuckles. - J

No comments: