Thursday, May 17, 2007

Thailand: Days 3 & 4

I'm sorry for the delay in posting- we have had limited time on a computer and I don't have long on this one.
Day 3: On Tuesday, we went to an equipping meeting with the interns at the Cheung Doi church that morning. It is a time that they are taught about evangelism and about how to best share Christ with the Thai Christians at Chiang Mai University. We learned a lot as well. Then we went with David Allen and the group to eat at the CMU campus. This is where most of their relationships form in order to invite the Thais to church. Everywhere we go, Elijah is a magnet for attention and he was a great outreach tool on campus. That afternoon we rested at the Todd's house and my mom and I got a facial - I thought I was getting a massage but I got the cucumber mask and everything, all for about $5- it was so nice! That night we attended a cell group meeting at the Todd's house - this was for the young professionals at the church to get together and eat, fellowship and study the Bible. We met so many sweet people and heard so many wonderful stories of how they had become Christians. I personally really enjoyed this time a lot!

Day 4: Our potential team in the US has not decided where they would want to plant a church over here, but a town named Pha Yao has been mentioned. It is a smaller town about 3 hours north of Chiang Mai, so after talking with the missionaries we decided it would be a good idea to check it out since that is a possibility. It is a beautiful town that is around a lake in the mountain valley- so neat! O drove us there and Jeab, the church secretary, was our guide since she is from there. We piled into the back of a truck with Elijah in our laps and made the 3 hour drive there and back. It was a beautiful drive through the mountains and on the way, we stopped at a waterfall. There was no moss on it and so we could walk right up it! I got some great pictures of that! By the way, still sorry about no pictures- we haven't found a way yet. We may have to put them all up when we get back if we can't figure it out. I am also on a computer with a space bar that isn't working well so I will have to elaborate later. Sorry for this being so cut and dry. :-) In Pha Yao, we went to the market, walked by the lake, visited with Jeab's family and visited the university there. It was all so neat, we really liked it there. When we got back, we gathered up our things at the Todd's to go to our hotel, The Green Palace, where we will be for the next few nights. We were told that there had been an earthquake and since we came back a different way, we had missed it. God really took care of us there - it was a 4.5 on the richter scale and is very unusual around here.

I better go, I'm getting real frustrated with this computer. :-) One more thing is that the humidity will knock you down here- it takes a while to get used to and I was very tired the first few days from it but am feeling better now. Elijah is doing fantastic and having a blast! He loves the people, food, activities, and especially not having to ride in a carseat! That will be hard to break when we get back! He has made 3 girlfriends at the Payap church from Singapore named Evangline, Sheena and Shermaine. They love him and he loves them! I have a great picture of them with him. Will post again soon - keep the comments coming, we love reading them and knowing that people care! Love and miss everyone! -Summer

2 comments:

nova said...

I am so glad you guys are having a great time over there. Looking at the pictures makes me want to visit there so badly, so if you all make it your home, Brad and I will not be far behind. I hope all is well and you are finding what you need. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you and your family made it there safely and having a great time. I will let everyone know in our bible study on Friday. The pictures are beautiful! We are praying for you.
Much Love & Blessings to you all!

Ann M.